U.S. Soccer Federation and Players Unions for U.S. Men and Women’s National Teams Agree To Collective Bargaining Agreements With Equal Pay

After a well-publicized lawsuit and drawn out negotiations over equal pay between U.S. Soccer and the U.S. Women’s National Team, it was announced that the parties, along with the U.S. Men’s National Team Players Association, agreed to separate collective bargaining agreements that are identical in working conditions and financial components, including appearance fees and game bonuses, prize money, commercial revenue share and more. The Women’s and Men’s National Teams will pool and share FIFA World Cup Prize money, with 90% of the prize money being paid equally to the Women and Men’s National Teams and the remaining 10% going to U.S. Soccer for the 2022 and 2023 World Cups. Both National Teams will have identifical performanced-based bonuses for all games and competitions. The Women’s National Team will no longer have guaranteed salaries and will instead have the same pay-to-play structure as the Men’s National Team. For instance, a player named to the roster for a match against an opponent ranked in the FIFA top 25 will receive an $8,000 appearance fee and a $10,000 game bonus if they win that match. 

The agreements represent the first time that any soccer federation has achieved true equal pay, including FIFA World Cup prize money.

For more information about this historic achievement, click here. To contact us about our sports law practice, call (708) 576-1624 or email [email protected]

Recent Posts

FIFA’s New Regulations in Dealing with Minors

On April 1, 2015, FIFA's Regulations on Working with Intermediaries became effective. The 2015 Regulations essentially de-regulated the football agent industry. For instance, the Regulations no longer required agents to be licensed, pass an exam or provide insurance....

How Much do Soccer Players Make?

I often get asked the question, "How much do soccer players make in MLS?" Some people are just curious because they have no idea what type of salaries soccer players make, especially in the USA. Some people want to compare Major League Soccer salaries to European...

Play College Soccer or Turn Pro?

As a soccer agent, I am frequently asked by parents whether their son or daughter should player soccer in college or try to turn professional right away. As someone who played Division I college soccer at Yale University, I can honestly say that playing soccer was...

Attorney Iveljic on Essential Elements of a Valid Contract

DocPro.com: Mag Mile Law Attorney Mario Iveljic gives insight into essential elements of a valid contract. Contracts form the backbone of society by establishing trust and minimizing risks between parties. A contract is the exchange of an act or promise between two or...

Loss Payees, Lenders and Mortgagee

Imagine the following scenario: You are a senior secured lender on equipment damaged in a fire. The owner of the property where the equipment is located files a claim against his insurance company for the loss. You, as the secured lender, are a loss payee on the...

Call Now to Get a Free Case Evaluation